Monday, November 05, 2007

Britney and the Philippines




A lot of buzz has been floating around my little country about Britney Spears' new leaked song Pieces Of Me. The buzz is due to the fact that Ms. Spears mentioned the name of my country, the Philippines in her lyrics which goes something like this.

"I’m Miss American Dream since I was 17
Don’t matter if I step on the scene
Or sneak away to the Philippines
They still gonna put pictures of my derrière in the magazine
You want a piece of me?
You want a piece of me…"


The whole lyrics can be found here
And if you want to listen to the whole obra maestra, just let this video load.

By the way, I chose to embed an AMV (anime music video) because its much better to look at than listen to.

Oh my fucking lord god almighty! The Philippines was mentioned in some mediocre song by a mediocre "pop princess" yeay! Lets report it on the prime time news and make a big deal out of it, because apparently it means so much to the ordinary Filipino citizen, who doesn't even give a fuck about Britney, her shenanigans, her music and over all her pathetic life.
I'm going to bring out the champagne now and give an overbearing toast to all this.
Finally, someone noticed and cared to mention the Philippines in their song.
Frankly, I was sick and tired of all these pop stars mentioning countries like Paris, Jamaica, Africa, Japan et cetera in their songs that as a Filipino I felt so left out.
But now, my spirits are lifted and I can travel around the world, proudly declaring my country's name.
If someone would ask me where I'm from, I will gladly tell them I'm from the Philippines.
You have not heard of the place you say, oh then you must have heard of Ms. Britney Spears' song where she mentioned my country, a place where she wanted to sneak away to.

The only reasons I could think of why she even mentioned it in her song is because it rhymes with the word scene. Yeah! Very poetic of you Shakespeare I mean Spears.
Or the other reason could be, its because her song writer (I doubt Britney writes her songs or writes at all) is a Filipino.

And if you analyze her song, which I doubt many do.
She is implying that she might as well come to an isolated country (which the Philippines isn't) so these paparazzi and other douchebags could not get near her.
Brilliant Ms. Spears! I'm sure when you come to the Philippines, these retards could no longer be after you because its inaccessible and so remote they can't possibly find you here and you will finally have the quality, quiet time you deserve. Boo hoo!

Anyway, whatever her reasons or lack of it, so what?
Its just a song, not even a good one at that.
I doubt other countries ran a headline in their news segment when a song mentioned their country's name. Jesus!

While the Desperate Housewives cast and crew are still busy answering the lawsuit filed against them about their offensive remarks, here comes Britney Spears wanting to sneak away here.
I think its another marketing plot, maybe it would boost her record sales and she may consider doing a concert here now, after all this time.
At the height of her popularity, I never could recall if she ever came to the country to do a concert. But she's a has-been at the very bottom of the has-been pit right now, so she could finally insert us in her concert tour (if ever there would be one, heaven forbid!).

Well, even if she mentioned my country in her song and in a neutral light, I still would not be buying her cds or any merchandise for that matter that is connected to her.
To quote Britney, "You want a piece of me? You want a piece of me..."
I will gladly answer you in two words my dear and I hope you can comprehend, "Hell No!"

What about you? Wanna piece of Britney?


3 comments:

jack frost said...

Looks like you havent heard the song "Filipino" by Black Eyed Peas.
And guess what!!! One of the BEP singers is a Filipine. He's called Allen Pineda Lindo (aka) APL.
Ur press mite have printed this headline long back.

Luna Emperatrice said...

@jack frost
On the contrary it is a very popular pop song here same goes for the group. Almost every Filipino knows that.

A lot of Filipinos have made it big in Hollywood and also conquering pop charts.

Rob Schneider
Lou Diamond Philipps
Tia Carrere
Nicole of the PussyCat Dolls
Mutya of Sugababes

and I could go on and on.

The point of this particular rant is, nobody really gives a damn but the NEWS media *media is comprised of a lot of branches*
had made noise about it when it is really not important.

It sickens me that the news is slowly turning into something like Entertainment Tonight and other similar programs.

Anonymous said...

The impression I got when I first heard the lyrics clearly was "It doesn't matter if I step down or degrade myself low enough to sneak away to the Philippines - the media would still want a piece of me despite that". But yeah, your interpretation makes sense.